Future Energy eNews - Aug 9, 2004
Date: Monday, August 09, 2004 @ 22:18:23 GMT
1) Vegetable protein creates electricity - New source works for 21 days - Nature.
2) Zero-Point Energy Measured in the Lab - Direct evidence for the existence of zero-point fluctuations. Agrees with IRI "ZPE Feasibility Study" conclusions.
3) Doom and Gloom for 2100 - British astronomer calculates a 50-50 chance that civilization will make it.
4) Scientists Demand New Energy Research - Seventeen scientists looking for carbon-free energy & willing to consider extreme possibilities. - Science.
5) Climate Study by Pentagon - May have provoked "Day After Tomorrow" movie; benchmark, historical 2003 report on national security implications of abrupt climate change is only 22-pages.
6) Million Solar Homes Initiative - California EPA announces 55% of homes must have solar by 2010.
7) Extraordinary Technology Conference - Valone ZPE talk and other emerging energy science presentations.
...But [Richard] Smalley concurs that another Apollo-like project is crucial. Not since then, he notes, have our universities been filled with engineering students inspired by a great challenge. A line graph he projected at Aspen showed the sobering result of subsequent generations diverted to Wall Street or Silicon Valley: As numbers of science and engineering PhDs plummet in the United States, in China and India they've soared.
"Suppose" he said, "from 2004 through 2009 we collect 5 cents from every gallon of oil. We invest the resulting $10 billion per year in frontier energy research. Maybe for the decade after, we collect 10 cents a gallon: $20 billion a year. At worst, we'll create a cornucopia of new technologies and new industries. At best, we'll solve the energy problem before 2020 and lay the basis for peace and prosperity worldwide."...
You can read the whole newsletter in our Editorials/Newsletters section.